Requirements Gathering and Analysis
My focus is to understand what the client wants to achieve so I can draw out a path for them to get there. Most of the time when a client tells me what they "want" or "need" in technical terms, there's a more elegant and cheaper way to get there. Other times, their own expectations of what systems can do are not reasonable. I strive to understand the requirements of the system so that I can propose a solution to best meet the client's actual needs. I also strive to speak at the level of the person I am speaking with. I understand that there are those who are not as technically savvy and require things in terms they can relate to.
Information Technology (IT)
My skills in this regard run the gamut. Anything a small to medium sized business needs to operate is fair game and if I don't know it, I expect myself to learn it thoroughly to provide them the best service I can.
An understanding of the seven layers of the network. Everything needed for traffic to go from point a to point b.
- Cabling and Crimping (Coax, BNC, Cat3, Cat5, Cat6)
- In-wall cable runs
- Wire and server racks
- Switches, routers and access points
Understanding how traffic routes, resolves, translates, bottlenecks, and preventing unwanted traffic.
- Subnets and Gateways
- Port Forwarding, Triggering and Blocking
- Secure Tunnels (VPN, SSH)
- Traffic Monitoring, Logging and Analysis
If I can get my hands on it, I can take it over and migrate your entire network as desired.
- Windows Server 2000/2003/2008/2011/2012/2016
- Installation, configuration and migrations
- RAID arrays with a hot spare and notifications
- Backups with notifications
- AD, group policy, login scripts, roaming profiles, and program deployment.
- Exchange, name changes, domain name rollovers, migrations
- Virtualization when applicable
Providing highly effective systems that do what they're supposed to with minimal downtime.
- Microsoft Exchange - In House Office 365, and Hybrid Setups
- Google Apps
- SPF, DKIM, PTR, Blacklists and Heuristic Analysis
Reinstalling the operating system should be the LAST option.
- Installation, migration and maintenance
- Virus Removal (remotely when possible)
- Keeping the integrity of the client's data
- Fix the problem, don't wipe the computer out of ignorance
- Password and product key retrieval (only where required)
This is where I am formally trained. My training allows me to pick up a new language in an inconsequential amount of time, gives me the ability to use good practices, and produces clean code that is well commented and understandable to others. I use Hungarian notation throughout the code I write regardless of language.
- Shell Scripts
- Java Script
These are protocols I have written code for from scratch. I can speak them via telnet where applicable.
These are file formats I have written code to interact with, create and modify.
- BMP, JPG, TGA
- TXT, RTF
- DOC, XLS